Binissalem is a town, located in the center of Mallorca. Its origin goes back to the Talayotic age. We can also find remains of the Roman and Islamic age.
According to linguists, its name comes from Banu Ssálam “Sons of freedom” or Banu Ssálim “Sons from Ssálim”.
Binissalem is a town, which already in feudal times consolidated its economy and there is evidence of huge extensions of vineyards. But the real splendor of this town was in XVIII and XIX century, a prove for that, are some of the most important buildings in the town, which confer Binissalem this special character.
Actually the economy of Binissalem is mainly based on the quarries in which the typical stone from Mallorca is produced, which covers the walls of many houses on the island. Also important for the economy, wineries with long standing tradition.
This town offers almost everything: culture, gastronomy, shops, supermarket, etc.
Every Friday is market in the church square.
The patron saint festivities, Sant Jaume, are 25th July, but possibly the most important festivity, which is known all over Mallorca, is the wine festival in September “La Festa de Sa Vermada”.
AND GENERAL INFORMATION
- Surface: 29,8 km2
- Altitude: 139 m.
- Population: aprox. 7.500 inhab.
- Palma: 22 km
- Hospital Son Espases Palma: 24,2 Km
- Hospital de Inca: 8,3 Km
- Airport: 30 Km
- Port of Palma: 32,4 Km
- Port of Alcudia: 34,2 Km
- From Palma, motorway Ma-13
- From Palma, national route Ma-13A
- From Alcudia motorway Ma-13
- From Alcudia, national route Ma-13A
- Train from Palma, lines T1, T2 y T3
- Train to Inca, lines T1, T2 y T3
- Health Center “Es Raiguer”. Tlf. 971 511 193/ Urgencias Tlf. 971 886 244// 060
- Pharmacy Toya Pascual: Plaça de l’Església, 26, Tlf. 971 870 030
- Pharmacy Ana Mª Alonso: Carrer des Reg, 5, Tlf. 971 886 514
- Local Police: Carrer Sant Vicenç de Paul, 5, Tlf. 971 511 126
- Guardia Civil: Calle del Conquistador, 26, Tlf. 971 511 059
- Pavelló Municipal Antoni Ladaria,Camí de Pedaç s/n
- Tennis Club Binissalem
- Golf in Palma, Alcudia, Pollensa
- Cultural Center Can Gelabert
- Municipal Theater
- Theater in Lloseta
- Cinemas in Palma, Inca
- BINIPETIT Municipal Kindergarden and Pre-School Binissalem
- CEIP Binissalem (Pre-school and Primary)
- CEIP Nostra Senyora de Robines (Pre-School and Primary)
- Col·legi l’Assumpció
- IES Binissalem (High School)
- CEPA Mancomunitat des Raiguer
- Playa de Alcudia: 33 km
- Playa de Pollença: 39 km
- La Calobra: 44 km
- Es Trenc: 60 km
- Port of Andratx: 55 km
- Playa de Palma: 28 km
- Every Friday, Market on the town square
- Address: Carrer Concepció, 7, 07350 Binissalem, Illes Balears
- Telephone: 971 88 65 58.